What to do if my step-mother was named executor of my father’s Will but she has not filed the Will for probate and claiming that there is nothing to probate?

UPDATED: Nov 11, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 11, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my step-mother was named executor of my father’s Will but she has not filed the Will for probate and claiming that there is nothing to probate?

He died about 9 months ago. Since she will not speak to my sisters or me, we are getting this information second hand. We have not seen a copy of the Will but my sisters and I remember our father asking for our SSN’s and those of our children. What can we do to get the Will filed and probated?

Asked on November 11, 2013 under Estate Planning, Oklahoma


Brook Miscoski / Hurr Law Office PC

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

In Texas, individuals who have an interest in the will (descendants would qualify) could file a motion with the court to require that the custodian of the will submit it for probate. The court would then require the custodian to probate the will, justify to the court's satisfaction why that cannot or should not be done, or spend some time in jail.

This should be done sooner rather than later--even though there is a 4 year probate period in Texas, it's still wise to act before an unlawful person has time to deplete an estate.

In Texas, the father's will might be limited by certain other rules. For instance, let's say that the only property your father owned was jointly held with your step-mother. She could have a lifetime right to use certain property, such as the house. And in a community property state (or in any state with marital property, I am also licensed in Illinois) a certain amount of property might just belong to her.

Since your step mother probably isn't a legal expert, it's difficult to know whether she means that there is no will or instead that there isn't any property that could be willed. In any case, the way to start would be to require that she cough up the will, as discussed initially.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption