What to do if my spouse’s adult children reside in my home and I want them out?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my spouse’s adult children reside in my home and I want them out?

I purchased home prior to marriage. My spouse has been arrested for domestic violence against me in the past. She moved her adult children into home. I have no rental agreement nor have Ievery received a dime from these adult children. I can get spouse removed but how do I make these kids go at the same time. I am divorcing my spouse and once she is served I maybe injured. Her children have become verbally aggressive towards me and I have only been married 18 months. My spouse cleaned out all accounts and ran up a 60k debit on my joint credi card accounts. I am mentally abused by them all daily. I am 61 and I know I have been scammed. My nerves are shot and I am physically unable to fend off an attack. I can get spouse removed by filing DV paperwork but the children will allow spouse to return when I am at work.

Asked on January 1, 2018 under Real Estate Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

From a property law point of view, you can only remove them once your spouse is no longer legally able to live there--i.e. you need to deal with the marital situation first. That is because anyone who may legally live someplace may have guests: as long as your wife has the right to reside in the home, she may have her children live with her.
If and when your spouse no longer resides there, then you can remove them: guests may not stay once the only person(s) who have legal possession of a home want them gone. If they don't go voluntarily at that point, you could bring a legal action commonly called "ejectment" (your state may have a different term for it) to remove them. A landlord-tenant lawyer should know how to file this action and you are advised to let such a lawyer help you: it can be a "technical" action in that a minor paperwork or procedural mistake can force you to start over.
If you are threatened or assaulted, you may be able to get a protective or restraining order against them that will effectively require the to leave. If they uttered any threats, file a police report and ask the PD about the process for filing for a protective order--they can likely give you instructions or directions that will let you do this yourself (or point you to an agency or service that can help).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption