What to do if my spouse refuses to sign and return divorce forms even though he requested the divorce?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my spouse refuses to sign and return divorce forms even though he requested the divorce?

My spouse and I are separated. I have all 3 kids; he does not help with the children. He asked for a divorce and asked me to fill out the paperwork. All property is to be divided equally and his only financial responsibility is to pay child support, which is less than the state required. He refuses to sign and return the forms, and he refuses to take my calls or answer my emails. All papers are ready to be filed, except for his signed pages.

Asked on October 17, 2016 under Family Law, Florida


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You don't need him to sign. Depeding on state law, you mayneed to serve him again with the divorce papers. Then, he has to reply within a certain amount of time. If he does not, you can proceed with a "divorce by default". Each state has rules about how you go about filing for a default divorce but it can be done. Basically, it will be granted on the terms that you request. The fact that you have children will not stop the divorce from going through.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption