What to do about missing money from my son’s bowling team fund?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about missing money from my son’s bowling team fund?

My son’s bowling team at school must raise its own money to pay for the use of the bowling ally and other expenses it occurs. Last year we did a lot of fund raising and raised a fair bit of money. The last weeks of the season it was estimated over $1000 left to be used on regional, but the team did not go so these funds should still be in the account. This year the bank account is $0 and there is no expense report from last year. The treasures, happens to be they are married, from last year will not talk to anyone about what happened to the funds. Is there any legal action that can be taken to see what happened to funds?

Asked on December 10, 2015 under Business Law, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

1) You could report it to the police: if they stole the funds, and there's at least some reason to think they did, that's a crime, and the police may investigate.
2) The school or community organization which sponsors the team (i.e. not just a parent on the team) could bring a legal action against the treasurer and, in the course of that action, seek information relating to the account--and then try to recover the money if it was stolen or lost through carelessness.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption