If my son, who is under 21, was ticketed for entering a liquor store out of state, how concerned should I be?

UPDATED: Apr 22, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 22, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my son, who is under 21, was ticketed for entering a liquor store out of state, how concerned should I be?

Will this result in a permanent record which he will have to divulge on future employment applications?

Asked on April 22, 2013 under Criminal Law, New York


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

He received the ticket most likely for attempting to purchase liquor while not of legal age. At this point, you need to be aware that it can follow him on his record, especially with the more sophisticated background checks. He should hire a criminal defense attorney to attempt to have this matter dismissed or plea out to an alternative conviction wherein his criminal history on this matter could be expunged or sealed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption