What will happen if my 21 year old son rented a car out of state and had an accident but was not covered on our auto policy?

UPDATED: Feb 10, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 10, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What will happen if my 21 year old son rented a car out of state and had an accident but was not covered on our auto policy?

He was in an accident; he rear-ended a car then hit the car in front. The rental company did not ask him for proof of insurance, and we have a copy of some paperwork with the lines for initialing and he did not initial either to take or decline the coverage. He rented using his credit card and it will pay for the rental car. Does the rental company pay the third parties from its insurance? He was not given a citation, though the police report says he caused the accident.

Asked on February 10, 2015 under Accident Law, Minnesota


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

The third parties who were injured have a choice of who to seek compenation from: the car's owner (the rental company) and/or the driver (your son). However, even if the choose to seek it from the rental company, if you son was at fault, as he most likely was (in the eyes of the law, the rear driver in a rear-ending accident is almost always at fault), then the rental car company or its insurer (whomever paid) would in turn be able to sue you son and recover what it paid from him, as the at-fault driver.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption