My son was walking home from school and was attacked by a pit bull. No significant injuries. Can we still sue?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

My son was walking home from school and was attacked by a pit bull. No significant injuries. Can we still sue?

My son was walking on the sidewalk on the way
home. A pit bull ran out of the front yard where it was
standing with its owners and began biting him. The
owner, an adult female, yelled at the dog to stop But
did not intervene. A child attempted to step Between
my son and the dog but itnpushed past her and
continued to attack. finally someone pulled the dog
off him. Thanks to his jacket then bites did not
puncture his skin but it left significant bruising where
he was bit. Neighbors witnessed the incident, police
report filed. Animal control said we could sue for
emotional distress and injuries. Is this accurate? Not
really interested in the money but the animal owner
did nothing to stop the attack and animal control isn’t
taking the dog. My son is terrified to walk home now
because of this. New Link Destination
take another route is going to add
a significant amount of time to his walk.

Asked on January 21, 2018 under Personal Injury, California


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Your son should receive medical treatment for the bruises and should see a psychiatrist or psychologist for treatment of emotional distress.
When your son completes his medical treatment and is released by the doctor and psychiatrist / psychologist, obtain his medical bills and medical reports.  Compensation for the medical bills is straight reimbursement.  The medical reports document his injuries and are used to determine compensation for pain and suffering, which is an amount in addition to the medical bills.
If the dog owner continues to be uncooperative and won't provide her homeowner's insurance information, your only recourse is to sue the dog owner for negligence.  Negligence is the failure to exercise due care (that degree of care that a reasonable dog owner would have exercised under the same or similar circumstances to prevent foreseeable harm).  Negligence is applicable here regarding your son's physical injuries and his psychological injury (negligent infliction of emotional distress).
If the dog does not have a history of biting, negligence would be the only cause of action (claim) in the lawsuit.  If the dog has a history of biting, a second cause of action, strict liability, should be included in the lawsuit.  Strict liability imposes liability whether or not due care was exercised.
In order to file a lawsuit on behalf of your son against the dog owner, you will need to be appointed guardian ad litem because your son is a minor.
If the case is NOT settled, the lawsuit on behalf of your son must be filed prior to the expiration of the applicable statute of limitations or your son will lose his rights forever in the matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption