What to do if my son was picked up for shoplifting video games?

UPDATED: May 2, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 2, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my son was picked up for shoplifting video games?

Overall he had stolen $200 dollars of games in 3 weeks. They did not arrest him, but said that they would wait for the store to press charges (that was 3 weeks ago). Now the police officer has called me wanting to meet with my son to take a statement and find out more information. He also wants me to bring in the stolen games which I have in my possesion and planned on bringing back to the store.Will I be incrminating my son by giving the games back to the police department, and allowing him to speak to the office about what happened? Should I get a lawyer before speaking to to them? Although he has never done this before, it seems like they are trying to build a case against him.

Asked on May 2, 2014 under Criminal Law, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Given what you gave written, I suggest that you immediately consult with and meet in person a criminal defense attorney in your locality that practices juvenile law to safeguard your son's interests. Such an attorney in your locality can be found on attorneypages.com.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption