What to do if my son was in a fender bender with my wife’s car and we are now being billed for additional medical expenses?

UPDATED: Jul 6, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 6, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my son was in a fender bender with my wife’s car and we are now being billed for additional medical expenses?

They found him at fault. My insurer covered the accident part but now, a year later, we’ve gotten a bill for $10,000 regarding medical coverage. The other driver never wanted to go to the hospital when the ambulance came to check. The police did the report and everybody was on their way. We asked from the collection agency to provide us with the medical bills but they have denied this. Yes, my son was at fault according to the report, but we think that this bill is unfair. We also know that these pain managements are closing every day here in florida due to the new law.

Asked on July 6, 2013 under Personal Injury, Florida


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

The property damage is separate from the personal injury claim.  When you said that your "insurer covered the accident part", if you are referring to the property damage, that would not include the medical bill.

It is not uncommon for auto accident injuries to manifest themselves sometime after the accident.

If the personal injury case has been settled with your insurance company, the other party had to sign a release of liability in order to receive the settlement check.  If the case was settled, they can't come back later for more money or additional claims.

Most likely, the personal injury case has not been settled and that is the reason for that medical bill.  You should just refer it to your insurance carrier.  That bill should have been sent to your insurance carrier and not to you.  When the personal injury case settles, the party who was not at fault will receive an amount to compensate for the medical bills and also pain and suffering.  Compensation for the medical bills is straight reimbursement.  Compensation for pain and suffering is an amount in addition to the medical bills. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption