What to do if my son was in a car accident and the insurer wants him to sign paperwork stating that he will pay $10,000 in damages?

UPDATED: Apr 23, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 23, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my son was in a car accident and the insurer wants him to sign paperwork stating that he will pay $10,000 in damages?

Should he go to court instead?

Asked on April 23, 2012 under Accident Law, Hawaii


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Presumably, if the insurer wants your son to commit to paying $10,000, there are something like $10,000 in damages at stake, and at least some chance your son was at fault in causing them. Therefore, your son should consult with an attorney in detail about this situation before doing anything at all.

As a matter of law, your son would be liable for the actual cost of any damages or personal injuries (and potentially "pain and suffering" for serious peronal injuries) he caused if he was at fault. A driver is typically at fault if he was driving negligently, or unreasonably carelessly: driving too fast for conditions or violating the speed limit; DUI/DWI; texting or talking on the cell phone while driving; going through a red light or stop sign; etc.

The fact that the insurer wants your son to pay does not mean he was in fact doing any of these things or otherwise driving carelessly. But again, they presumably would not be asking unless it was at least possible he was. Your son needs experienced counsel to review the situation with him to determine whether it appears it he was in fact at fault and what his liability, or financial exposure, might be. No one should ever sign anything which might obligate them for $10,000 without speaking with an attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption