If my son was arrested today on a warrant issued over a year ago for a bad check, what will happen?

UPDATED: Mar 4, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 4, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my son was arrested today on a warrant issued over a year ago for a bad check, what will happen?

Today he paid the amount of the check which was $225. This is his first time. He has to appear in court on 05/19. What else will happen and will he be charged with something else? Warrant issued in SD.

Asked on March 4, 2011 under Criminal Law, Minnesota


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

What you need to do now is to hire an attorney in the issuing state (SD). Find one that practices locally to the court that issued the warrant. This attorney can utilize their contacts to negotiate to your son's best advantage.  If money is an issue, see if he qualifies for representation by the Public Defender's office or Legal Aid. Also, check if there is a law school nearby to where the arrest took place; they typically run free/low cost clinics that handle these type cases. Additionally, contact the local Bar Association in the county where the proceedings will be held; they may have a list of attorneys who will take his case "pro bono" (for free) or at least for a reduced fee based on his income/circumstances.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption