If my son stop paying his loan that I co-signed for, what can I do?

UPDATED: Apr 2, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 2, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my son stop paying his loan that I co-signed for, what can I do?

What does it mean when it says non-student loan?

Asked on April 2, 2015 under Bankruptcy Law, Mississippi


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

It's not clear what "non-student loan" might mean based on what you write, since we can't see the whole document; without that, we do not want to hazard a guess.

As to the rest of your question: if the loan is not paid in full each month, whether by, your son, or a combination, the lender can go after either or both of you--their choice--for the money; you could be sued due to your son's failure to pay.

If you are sued, however, you could in turn sue your son for his default, since that's what has caused you to incur liability. Of course, you might choose to not do that; or he might have not money or assets, in which case suing him is moot. (And if he has no money or assets, the lender is more likely to go after you.)

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption