What to do if my son signed a contract with the gym after a free tryout but called to cancel the same day yet it was never canceled?

UPDATED: Jan 24, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 24, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my son signed a contract with the gym after a free tryout but called to cancel the same day yet it was never canceled?

The head trainer told him he would take care of it. He never did and my son was not refunded the initial money he was charged and never told he needed to sign anything. I found this out when my account was erroneously charged $140 for the continuation of the services which was refunded. There are several problems with the contract such as: my name appears on the contract as though it was with me, there are date and amount discrepancies. What course of action should I take? Self represent in small claims court?

Asked on January 24, 2014 under Business Law, Florida


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If the amount that was not refunded was charged to a credit card, it would be a simpler thing to put the charge in dispute with the credit card company.  If not, and if you can not resolve the dispute with a demand letter, then small claims court may be the way to go.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption