If my son lives out of the country, can he be executer in the US?

UPDATED: Oct 8, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my son lives out of the country, can he be executer in the US?

Asked on October 8, 2011 under Estate Planning, South Carolina


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If your son resides outside of the United States, there is nothing legally preventing him from being the executor of your estate if that is your desire.

However, from a practical aspect having an executor of an estate whose obligations it is to ascertain the assets of a decedent's estate, safeguard them, review creditor's claims, sign paperwork regarding the estate and have the assets distributed can be somewhat difficult to manage.

Likewise due to distance factors there can also be delays in getting matters signed such as paperwork associated with the probate of an estate. However, if you want your son as the executor of your estate, he would be a natural choice in that parents typically have one of their children serving as such.

Good question.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption