What to do if my doctor doesn’t accept my health coverage and will not accept cash instead?

UPDATED: Oct 7, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 7, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my doctor doesn’t accept my health coverage and will not accept cash instead?

My 11 year old son is due a check up. I visited the doctor’s office to make an appointment. They inquired about our insurance. I told them who we had coverage with they informed me they do not take it. I replied no problem we willpay cash. They replied that they cannot make an appointment for my son.They stated that it is against state law for them to take money from us for their service. The end result is my son is being denied medical care. I want to know what legal recourse can be taken. Also what type of lawyer should I look for?

Asked on October 7, 2014 under Insurance Law, New Jersey


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

When a person has insurance, in some jurisdictions it is illegal for a medical provider to take money from that person for medical services.  If this doctor does not take your insurance, you need to find a doctor who does.  You can not legally force a doctor to take any particular patient.  Ask your doctor's office to refer you to a doctor who takes your insurance.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption