If my son is already enrolled to start in a public school for kindergarten in my district, can my ex-wife change this without being in agreement?

UPDATED: Jul 12, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 12, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my son is already enrolled to start in a public school for kindergarten in my district, can my ex-wife change this without being in agreement?

Our divorce decree states that no decision can be made if both parents (with 50/50 joint custody) are not in agreement. We agreed to enroll our son in the district that I live in and have already processed all paper work. She now has decided on her own to submit his name for an open enrollment in another district which neither of us live in. I am not in agreement with this and our son is already set to start school in th fall. She says her lawyer said to submit his name and if chosen the decision will be made by a judge. What should I do and what representation do I need?

Asked on July 12, 2012 under Family Law, Michigan


Jeffrey Kaplan / Law Offices of Jeffrey S. Kaplan

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

As an attorney I want more information than what you have provided. You should consult an attorney, who can elicit more details and provide you more specific advice.

That said, based solely on the facts presented, the short answer is - no. However, your wife is not yet in violation of the divorce agreement since she has not yet enrolled your son in another district. 

If your son is selected for enrollment, your wife will need to go to court and ask the judge to allow him to attend. It sounds like her attorney is gearing up for just such a fight.

If she sends him to the new school without petitioning the court, you need to take her to court and have the judge settle it.

Again, consult an attorney and have him/her on stand-by when the enrollment decision is made.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption