What should my son do if he is a truck driver and received a ticket for driving under the influence of a controlled substance?

UPDATED: Nov 5, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 5, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What should my son do if he is a truck driver and received a ticket for driving under the influence of a controlled substance?

He was stopped in Wisconsin because they said he was weaving slightly. The local police took him to the hospital and took drug tests, which they stated came back negative. He had taken Advil PM the night before for a cold and explained this to the officers. He was not arrested but grounded for ten hours. They took him to a local motel, and then searched his truck. He has since received a ticket in the mail for driving under the influence of a controlled substance. How do we get a copy of his tests and what should our next step be?

Asked on November 5, 2013 under Criminal Law, Mississippi


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Contact the hospital. Your son is the patient so he is entitled to those medical records. He may have to pay a fee to get them but make sure he does it and has it emailed or faxed to him. Then if those tests came back negative, he needs to go and see his primary care physician, explain the situation and see if the doctor can opine on the advil he took the evening before. It doesn't sound like this would have an impact a day later but perhaps the doctor can explain this.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption