If my son is 19 and was arrested for a first offense OWI, what is he looking at?

UPDATED: Feb 9, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 9, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my son is 19 and was arrested for a first offense OWI, what is he looking at?

And should he get legal help?

Asked on February 9, 2013 under Criminal Law, Michigan


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

What he's lookng at is the following:

- 30 days suspended license/150 days restricted license (automatic), plus $125 reinstatement fee;
- Up to 93 days in jail;
- Fines of at least $100 up to $500, plus court costs;
- Probation up to 2 years;
- Up to 360 hours community service;
- A $1,000 "driver responsibility fee" to secretary of state for 2 years.

Also, his insurance rates will skyrocket.

As for whether or not you need an attorney, technically, no you do not. However, as a practical matter, it is a good idea. The fact is that a DUI triggers 2 cases - 1 civil and 1 criminal. And the fact is that any time criminal charges are involved it is always advisable to have legal representation. An experienced DUI lawyer can be instrumental in either having the case dismissed, the charges reduced or winning an acquittal at trial. A DUI case is based on certain factors that can successfully be defened against; for example, the accuracy of a breathalyzer test. And a conviction can have a drastic impact on employment, professional licensing, etc.

Bottom line, a skilled DUI attorney can make all the difference.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption