What to do if my son-in-law refuses to make the payments due on the credit cards I let him use?

UPDATED: Oct 7, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 7, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my son-in-law refuses to make the payments due on the credit cards I let him use?

They are in my name and nothing in writing saying he owes them. Is there anything I can do? We are on SS now and can’t afford these payments. My daughter can’t help pay them because she is on disability.

Asked on October 7, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Colorado


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Well I would start by cancelling the cards as soon as you can.  I am sure that you recognize that this is a problems here in that you have no written agreement for him to pay back the debt.  And what it looks like from the outside looking in is an agreement to pay the debt of another - because your name was on the credit card.  Those type of agreements may run afoul of a law known as the Statute of Frauds which state that these type of agreements MUST be in writing to be valid.  You can try suing him in small claims court but I think that you may have a problem.  Otherwise look to a debt counselor about what your options here would be.  A creditor can not collect from social security for a judgement but if you own your own home they can place a lien.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption