What to do if my son hit a man on a bicycle?

UPDATED: Aug 5, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 5, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my son hit a man on a bicycle?

It was 5:30 am and still dark. He stopped but did not see anything and drove off. They arrested him for failure to report an accident. If the person fell in a ditch and he stopped but did not see anyone and drove off, can he be liable for not reporting something he reasonably did not know occurred?

Asked on August 5, 2013 under Accident Law, Tennessee


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

IF you son did not know he did anything wrong, then he should not face criminal liability. However, the issue is whether that is credible. Hitting a man on a bicycle makes a substantial sound and jolt; any reasonable person should have known they hit something large, a person or large animal, and a reasonable person would have looked around until he saw something.Furthermore, if it was dark, your son should have had his headlights on, which would have let him see what h was running into. The authorities may not believe that you son did not know what he hit, because that is not reasonable.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption