If my son has some special needs and another student hit him several times while he was at school, is there any legal action that I can take?

UPDATED: Nov 6, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 6, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my son has some special needs and another student hit him several times while he was at school, is there any legal action that I can take?

Either against the student or the school. My son is in a GED program. The other student is over 18.

Asked on November 6, 2013 under Personal Injury, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You could only sue the school if the sue were negligent, or unreasonably careless, in some way, such as by not properly supervising the students. If the school, however, was doing everything more or less right, and this other student just happened to attack your son, the school would not be at fault and not be liable.

You could sue the other student, if he is a competent adult; if he is not competent (e.g. even if over 18, someone else still has guardianship or the like over him), you could sue his legal guardians; that is because assault (attacking someone) is something over which you can sue.

Of course, you can only collect in a lawsuit an amount related or commensurate to the costs and injuries suffered; so if your son, hopefully, was not badly injured and did not require expensive medical care, there would be no point in suing--you'd likely spend more on the lawsuit then you could recover or collect.

You could also report the assault to the police, since assault is a crime; the other student could potentially face criminal charges.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption