What to do if my son got a ticket this weekend for speeding and driving without a license?

UPDATED: Sep 4, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 4, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my son got a ticket this weekend for speeding and driving without a license?

His license was suspended for 4 years for previous citations. He goes to court on Wednesday. Can he go to jail for this offense?

Asked on September 4, 2013 under Criminal Law, Washington


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Please get an attorney to go with him for the court appearance.  Driving with out a license can be classified as either a traffic infraction or a criminal charge (a misdemeanor).  The fact that this has happened before and he has continued to drive will NOT work in his favor. Driving with a suspended license in the third degree is a misdemeanor punishable by up to 90 days in jail and a $1,000 fine. If charged in the first or second degree then these are considered gross misdemeanors punishable by up to 364 days in jail and a $5,000 fine—along with an additional term of license suspension or revocation upon conviction.  Persons with multiple such offenses, or other driving offenses or infractions, on their records can be classified as an habitual traffic offender, resulting in the loss of driving privileges for several years. Get help.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption