Wht to do if my son broke his elbow diving into an above ground pool 2 weeks ago?

UPDATED: Sep 5, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 5, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Wht to do if my son broke his elbow diving into an above ground pool 2 weeks ago?

The owner’s son and other kids were diving into the pool even though “do not dive” signs were posted. My son had to have surgery to screw the bone together and will require another surgery in 6 -12 months to remove the screw. My health insurer sent an “injury report” form requesting the homeowner’s home insurance policy. We do not know these people and after repeated attempts have not been able to get a hold of them. I have a few questions. Can my health insurance deny/reduce the claim by not supplying the info. Should I retain a lawyer just to get the home owner’s info? Should I retain a lawyer anyway?

Asked on September 5, 2012 under Personal Injury, Ohio


Leigh Anne Timiney / Timiney Law Firm

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I am sorry to hear about your son's injury.  Your health insurance company is looking to see if there is another insurance policy out there which might be liable for this injury and your son's medical expenses.  Whether or not the homeowner's insurance policy will cover this depends in large part on the terms of the policy.  Some homeowners policies require that the homeowner was acting negligently in order to cover an injury such as this.  In this instance, allowing children to dive in a pool where diving is not permissable could be argued to be negligent.  Your health insurance should not penalize you because you cannot provide the insurance information.  This is not your policy.  I would suggest you contact an attorney in your area who specializes in personal injury and seek a consultation with regard to all of your questions and a possible personal injury claim for your son.  Your son has a significant injury which may have lasting limitations and complications.  You should speak with a professional in regard to your options. Good luck to you.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption