What can I do if my son and his fiance had to cancel their wedding reception venue and the owner of the venue has refused to refund my $500 deposit?

UPDATED: Nov 9, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 9, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if my son and his fiance had to cancel their wedding reception venue and the owner of the venue has refused to refund my $500 deposit?

00). There is no signed contract to lease this room for the reception only a “Company Policy” stating no refunds if you cancel. Neither my son, his fiance nor I ever agreed to this term. In addition, no where on the invoice is it written that providing a deposit constitutes acceptance of this policy. The proprietor was given more that 60 days notice of the need to cancel and has provided no service other than to meet with this couple and prepare an invoice. Given the ample time frame which will allow her to schedule another event, and no written contract, I believe a full refund is in order.

Asked on November 9, 2014 under Business Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, you have backwards: the norm or default under the law is that a deposit is not refundable when the customer cancels unless the businesses policy is specifically to allow refunds in those circumstances. A deposit is intended to secure performance; it is paid to get the business to reserve a date (or goods or services, etc.); if the business did so in good faith and the customer then canceled, the business may keep the deposit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption