What can I do if my sisteris the executor of my mother’s estate and has manipulated things to her advantage?

UPDATED: Feb 6, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 6, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if my sisteris the executor of my mother’s estate and has manipulated things to her advantage?

She manipulated my late mother into giving her an unfair share of the estate. I get approximately $20,000; she gets $600,000. My mother was 91 years old. My sister has lied to me and prevented from communicating with her. Further, my sister has hacked into my hotmail account and deleted the incriminating evidence several years ago. Is there anyway that I can stop her? I have no job and very little money.

Asked on February 6, 2014 under Estate Planning, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You can bring a legal action against her and against the will, on several possible grounds:

1) To have the will set aside as the product of undue (basically, unfair and too-strong) influence or fraud, if you think your mother was manipulated into it;

2) Against your sister for violating her duty(ies) as an executor;

3) For hacking into your account.

There, however, are not easy or simple actions to bring; you are urged to retain an attorney to help you, and with your share of $600,000 at stake, a lawyer would appear to be well worth it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption