If my sister stole money from father’s estate while he was still alive, what to do now?

UPDATED: Aug 9, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 9, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my sister stole money from father’s estate while he was still alive, what to do now?

My sister, who put her name of CD’s that were in his name cashed in my father’s money without my knowledge and bought rental properties in a LLC owned by her. No one in the family knew about this including my father. Now he is dead and I forced her to write me a statement that she will share the rental income with me but she has not done so. What should I do? Can we still probate his estate even though the money is gone into rental properties in her name?

Asked on August 9, 2012 under Estate Planning, Pennsylvania


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss and for the situation as it is.  What some one needs to do is to be appointed as the fiduciary of the estate - Personal Representative - and in that position that person would have the ability to take action againt your sister on behalf of the estate.  There is a lot that you are going to have to prove here regarding the CD's and so I would speak with a lawyer about the matter in detail.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption