How to a divorce and get child support from a foreign husband living abroad?

UPDATED: Jan 14, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 14, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to a divorce and get child support from a foreign husband living abroad?

My sister’s is Swiss and lives in Switzerland; my sister has been living here in CA for the past 3 years. He has sent money every month to support his 2 children and my sister. Now he says he is abandoning them and not sending any more money. She doesn’t have any money and we don’t even know who can help her get a divorce from her Swiss husband. He has plenty of money (he’s an investor).

Asked on January 14, 2011 under Family Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Your sister needs to go and seek legal counsel as soon as she can here.  There are to many issues to discuss to give any guidance in this type of forum.  Fist, you say that she is Swiss.  Is she here illegally?  Is she on a visa of some sort?  She has no residency here correct so she can not bring a proceeding for a court to issue a ruling in her favor and the court will not have jurisdiction over her husband in Switzerland from what I can see.  And did she leave with his permission?  Because if he wants to he can claim that she has kidnapped the kids and that is a way bigger problem for her than support.  Get her help asap.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption