What to do if my sister is trying to cheat me in a real estae transaction?

UPDATED: Aug 27, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my sister is trying to cheat me in a real estae transaction?

My sister is the landlord and had me evicted after a week, after I gave her $11,000 for rent and deposit. She is trying to buy a house and is on a rent-to-own (its a duplex). I deposited the money into her account and have the deposit slip from my bank to hers. Now she is getting a trespassing order against me so I can’t go over to get the money or even try. What can I do to get at least half back because I’m living in my car with 3 kids and have no money.

Asked on August 27, 2011 Washington


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you were evicted by your sister from the unit you were living in, was it by way of a court order of was it simply a notice of eviction where you voluntarily vacated the unit you were living in with your children?

If the county that you live in has a "legal aid" program, I suggest that you contact it and see if there is a person associated with it that can assist you and your children. Another option to seek assistance is through your local county bar association. Some county bar associations have programs where lawyers assist people like you needing help pointing them in the right direction.

The final option is to contact a landlord tenant attorney to see if he or she can be if any assistance to you. You will need to provide the written lease and all documents concerning the property you were renting to be of help.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption