What to do if my sister is having a problem with her landlord entering her duplex?

UPDATED: Oct 24, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 24, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my sister is having a problem with her landlord entering her duplex?

They seem to come when they feel like it, entering at unacceptable hours (this morning it was 6:30 am when she told them that 10 am would be better) or even when they’re not home. One time, my sister arrived home to find her landlord in her duplex on a tour to refinance the property. Doing research with the law myself, I find that in the state of RI (where she lives), a landlord must give 2 days notice before entering unless there is an emergency situation that needs to be addressed.

Asked on October 24, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Rhode Island


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Your sister can sue the landlord for breach of the covenant of quiet enjoyment for entering her duplex in violation of the notice requirement.

The covenant of quiet enjoyment means that your sister as a tenant, cannot be disturbed in her use and enjoyment of the premises.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption