If my younger siblingsare currently in the careof our older sister who no longer wants them, how would I get custody of them?

UPDATED: Jan 1, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 1, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my younger siblingsare currently in the careof our older sister who no longer wants them, how would I get custody of them?

They are currently in LA County while I reside in San Diego County.

Asked on January 1, 2011 under Family Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

This is something that you will need an attorney to help you with.  You are going to have to file a Petition for Custody and probably guardianship of your siblings.  I am assuming that you are a legal adult.  The Court will look at various criteria in your Petition and your ability to take care of your siblings financially by providing them with a place to live,food and other necessities.  Your sister will be given notice of your filing and can probably submit an affidavit consenting to your Petition. Be prepared to have your life placed under scrutiny by various agencies and home visits, etc.  But it is a wonderful thing that you are doing for your siblings and I am sure that in the end it will be a great joy to have them around.  Good luck.    

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption