Can my roommates kick me out after we had a disagreement?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my roommates kick me out after we had a disagreement?

I am a college student. I rent an apartment with 2 other girls; we are all on the lease. It is a 2-bedroom. One girl, whose mom co-signed, has her own room and the other girl and I share a room. We had a falling out and they have brought someone else to live there who is not on the lease. They have all agreed they do not want me there and have given me 3 days to pack my stuff and leave. I pay rent and other bills on time; I clean and do my part. Their argument was that I do not clean everyday and only clean 3 days of the week. They have picked up a lease removal form for me to sign. Can they do this?

Asked on February 1, 2018 under Real Estate Law, California


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

One roommate cannot be evicted by another (or others). Only a landlord has the legal right to remove a tenant (and only then for cause such as non-payment of rent, etc.). Accordingly, if your roommates do anything to remove you or your belongings without your consent then you can take legal action against them. The cause of action would be for unlawful eviction.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption