What to do if my roommate terminated the lease and moved out when there is over 2 months left on the lease?

UPDATED: Oct 20, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 20, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my roommate terminated the lease and moved out when there is over 2 months left on the lease?

Now, he’s room is still locked and he hasn’t taken his stuff out of the room and cleaned it. I called the landlord, and he said that since I am the only one being on the lease, I am obligated to pay the full amount which I cannot afford. Is my ex roommate obligated to pay for the days that his room has been locked and occupied by his belongings, because people have been wanting to see the room, but with no success since the door is locked.

Asked on October 20, 2012 under Real Estate Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

From what you have written, if there are still several months left on the lease that you have written about your roommate is still obligated for his or her share until the lease ends per its terms. Your recourse is to get a roommate short term to pay for the rent or pay the roommate's share and then sue him or her for the portion that you overpaid beyond the amount you are obligated under.

I suggest that you consult with your landlord to see what can be done to try and get the problem resolved. So long as the roommate's belongings are still on premises, you cannot legally remove them.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption