What to do if my roommate moved out prior to the end of the lease but did not take her items from the garage?

UPDATED: May 23, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 23, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my roommate moved out prior to the end of the lease but did not take her items from the garage?

I have repeatedly asked her when she will remove her items but she does not respond. What are my options? She came back for her things left in the apartment but not the garage.

Asked on May 23, 2012 under Real Estate Law, California


Hong Shen / Roberts Law Group

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Make sure you safely store the property. Write her a formal letter, stating that your intention to get rid of them if she does not want to claim them. Give her some time, say, 60 days. If she does not respond you may get rid of them afterwards.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption