What to do if my roommate moved out of the apartment without waiting for our lease to expire?

UPDATED: Jan 26, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 26, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my roommate moved out of the apartment without waiting for our lease to expire?

She is not paying her part and her name is on the contract. I am planning to sue her and I have tried to contact her and ask her to pay her part. Her husband is a lawyer that threatened me with an offensive letter after I contacted her. He asked for all the communication to go through him because he is representing her. Can he represent her in court if he has personal interest in this case by being her husband? Can I send her an official letter with the details before I take her to court or I have to send it through him? I do not want to contact her lawyer because he has been offensive to me.

Asked on January 26, 2013 under Real Estate Law, Kentucky


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Nased upon what you have written about I would send a demand letter to your former roommate in care of her lawyer attorney demanding payment for what is owed by a certain date. If the due date comes and goes, then small claims is your option. Note, lawyers cannot appear in small claims court.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption