What to do if my roommate moved out?

UPDATED: Oct 18, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 18, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my roommate moved out?

We’re both on the lease. Our rent is $2240 a month. There are 7 months left on the lease. The leasing office is saying we are equally responsible for payment. Is it even worth me trying to get what I’ve already paid in his behalf and what I will have to pay for the next 7 months?

Asked on October 18, 2012 under Real Estate Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Since your roommate who was responsible for half of the rent of the unit simply left leaving you responsible for the total amount, I suggest that you do the following since there are seven months remaining on the lease:

1. sublet a portion of the unit where you end up getting a new roommate for the balance of the lease;

2. write the former roommate for monies that you have expended on his or her behalf with payment by a certain date. Keep a copy of the letter for future use and need.

3. if you do not receive payment by the due date, small claims court seems to be your recourse.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption