What can I do if my roommate is letting her unemployed, homeless boyfriend live in our apartment illegally?

UPDATED: Dec 22, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 22, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if my roommate is letting her unemployed, homeless boyfriend live in our apartment illegally?

We rent an apartment off campus at a college. Our lease clearly states any unlawful occupant (someone not on the lease) cannot stay in our apartment for longer than 3 days; she’s been letting him live with us for periods of time, 2 months here and a few weeks there, but we’re both back home for the holidays and shes letting him live in our apartment while neither of us are even there! What are my rights? Can I call the police and have him removed? Can I get a restraining order against him so he cannot come into my apartment? On what grounds? He stole some of my belongings in the past.

Asked on December 22, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You need to have a face to face meeting with your roommate about the homeless boyfriend living in the rental you share and how it is not allowed beyond a certain period of time and how that situation is going to be resolved. You also need to carefully read your written lease for the unit in that it determines what rights if any you may have to keep the boyfriend out of the unit.

Most likely the language pertains to the landlord's rights. One option is to meet with the landlord about the situation with the boyfriend and see what he or she wants to do about the circumstances.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption