What to do if my roommate has begun to engage in dangerous behaviors?

UPDATED: Nov 27, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 27, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my roommate has begun to engage in dangerous behaviors?

Twice this week she has left pots of grease on the stove overnight and I have gotten up to cut them off. She has been unlocking the front door and going to bed. She also has damaged her room. I have begun documenting things with photos and video and have written emails to the office asking for help but to no avail. There are 3 other families in our building and they all have children and she too has 2 small children living with us. I am deathly afraid that a fire is going to break out in the middle of the night or someone will enter the apartment. I’ve asked her to move out but she is refusing. She has also not paid any rent or bills in 3 months. What can I do?

Asked on November 27, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You most likely can't do anything, unfortunately.

1) First, a roommate may not make a roommate move out; only the landlord can, and only for certain reasons.

2) Potentially dangerous behaviour like you describe, however, is probably not something that supports eviction--if she does actual damage to the property, that would be different, but generally a landlord cannot evict only due to the risk of damage.

3) One tenant may not legally break her lease (move out early) due to the actions of his or her cotenant--so if you move out and stop paying rent, you will be in breach of your lease, may have a negative report on your renting and credit histories, and could be sued by the landlord for the remaining rent you would owe for the remaining term of the lease.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption