How can I get out of my lease if my roommate has some sort of medical condition and leaves contaminated items around the apartment?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I get out of my lease if my roommate has some sort of medical condition and leaves contaminated items around the apartment?

She constantly leaves bloody paper towels in the trash all the time. It has been sitting in there for a week now and has been collecting. I am highly concerned for my own health because she seems very sick and mentioned that she has been bleeding a lot. I reached in the trash to take something out unaware that there had been blood in there and accidentally grabbed a paper towel with blood on it. I am terrified, she also requires that the heat be on because of a health condition. I want out of the lease.

Asked on December 11, 2015 under Real Estate Law, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, while your concern is perfectly understandable, it is not grounds to get out of the lease because it is not a problem or conduct for which the landlord is responsible: the landlord does not control what your roommate does in your apartment. However, the lease is a contract between you and your landlord: you can only terminate it early if the *landlord* does something which violates the lease or deprives you of the peaceful enjoyment of your unit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption