If my roommate attempted to assault me and the police had to be called., is this grounds enough to break lease?

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my roommate attempted to assault me and the police had to be called., is this grounds enough to break lease?

My roommate stopping taking her medication for a mental illness and became very

violent. This included screaming at the top of her lungs for over 45 minutes,

throwing things, and hitting things. She later attempted to physically assault me

and I had to call the police. On top of this was three weeks of living in terror

which caused me to vomit every morning and lose sleep at night. Is this

considered abuse, and is it enough grounds to break a lease without penalty?

Asked on November 29, 2016 under Real Estate Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

No, it is not grounds to break your lease. Your lease is between you and the landlord: it can only be terminated if the *landlord* breaches it in in some way. Your roommate's actions do not allow you to break a contract (and that's what a lease is: a contract) with another person (the landlord).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption