What to do if my roommate moved out 4 months before lease was up and has not kept his promise to pay his share of the rent?

UPDATED: Nov 5, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 5, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my roommate moved out 4 months before lease was up and has not kept his promise to pay his share of the rent?

A friend and I moved in together and signed a 1 year lease (we are both on the lease). He moved out a month ago and said he would pay his half of the rent for the remainder of the lease. He has since changed his mind. Is there anything I can do about this?

Asked on November 5, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you and your former roommate have a written or oral agreement where each of you were to pay one-half (1/2) of the expenses for the rental that you shared, the roommate moved out four (4) months ago stating he would honor the prior agreement with you but has since changed his mind, your option to get reimbursed for the full amount of rent you are paying are as follows:

1. get a short term roommate to cover the rent of the former roommate;

2. send a written letter to the former roommate seeking payment for all past months due by a certain date. If not paid as requested, your option would be small claims court against him. Keep a copy of all letters sent him.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption