What are my rights as a pregnant girlfriend to a man on probation and on the sex offender registry?

UPDATED: Apr 1, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 1, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights as a pregnant girlfriend to a man on probation and on the sex offender registry?

My boyfriend is on probation for something he did as a teenager 9 yrs ago; he’s 26. Now, however, he’s also on the sex offender registry. I have known him for forever and know what he was accused of and know what happened. I have two children of my own (which he has not) been around due to his probation and him not wanting to risk violating his probation. I just found out that I am pregnant. I want to know my rights as his girlfriend and being pregnant. Can he now be around me and my kids or should we get married? Which would make this easier on us so

Asked on April 1, 2012 under Criminal Law, New York


Kevin Bessant / Law Office of Kevin Bessant & Associates

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Your boyfriend needs to speak with his probation/parole agent and discuss this situation with them first so that he does not violate his probation. Probation for sex offense charges generally prohibit the person from being around minor children, except for their own children if they were not the subjects of the criminal charges. If he can explain that he has a child on the way with you, and that you two plan to marry, then probation may make an exception to his probation conditions and allow him contact with the children.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption