What to do if my rental office misplaced my rent payment and the receipt?

UPDATED: Nov 27, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 27, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my rental office misplaced my rent payment and the receipt?

They have informed that I need to pay the rent for the month that I’ve already paid for. What do I do? I don’t feel I should be held responsible for them misplacing a receipt.

Asked on November 27, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Legally, once you pay the landlord, you have fulfilled your obligation. If the landlord later loses the money or the records of it, that does not matter.

Practically, if you can't prove that you paid, you will have trouble: the landlord may try to evict you for nonpayment, and/or sue you to recover the money, and if you have no evidence that you did in fact pay, the landlord has a good chance of winning. If you paid by check or money order, you will be able to prove that someone cashed the check or money order--and, in the case of a check, may be able to prove that it went into the landlord's account. This will put you in a much stronger position. However, if you paid by cash and there is no receipt, there is no proof of payment; it may be worthwhile to pay the rent again in that case to avoid eviction and other negative consequences.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption