What do I do ifI feel that my dental surgeon committed malpractice?

UPDATED: Oct 17, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 17, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What do I do ifI feel that my dental surgeon committed malpractice?

I went to get my wisdom teeth out 5 months ago. After I woke up from the anesthesia the doctor told my husband I was saying my heart hurt and that my heart rate was a little fast. In the car my husband said I started crying and breathing really fast. We went to the ER and my heartrate was in the 160’s. I ended up in ICU for a night. I have been passing out 5-8 times a week, loss my vision, have constant sharp pains in my chest and constant migraines that enables me to take care of my 1 year old son and low blood pressure. My husband and I think the surgeon did something wrong. I have had 10-15 hospital visits since having the surgery. I fear that I will have life-long complications. Should I consult with a malpractice attorney? I’m in Beaufort County, SC.

Asked on October 17, 2011 under Malpractice Law, South Carolina


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you are suffering from problems post your wisdom teeth surgery that you never had before the surgery, you need to consult with an experienced attorney in the are of dental malpractice sooner rather than later. When you meet with this attorney, make sure that you bring all medical reports and invoices post your surgery for his or her review.

Key is what does your health care practioners have to say about the problems that you have suffered after the surgery as to cause and what the problems actually are?

Depending upon what your health care practioners say about your current condition, you will need to retain a dental standard of care expert to give a medical opinion as to whether or not the surgeon fell below the standard of care of a trained professional in your community.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption