If I had an attorney friend refer me to a lawyer in my state, how does a referral fee work?

UPDATED: Jul 17, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 17, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I had an attorney friend refer me to a lawyer in my state, how does a referral fee work?

I was seeking a malpractice attorney in my state, so I asked an old friend if he could refer me to someone who might be able to help me (he himself is a lawyer licensed in another state and does not practice in this field of law), so he did refer me to a malpractice attorney here. What should he be compensated for referring me to this other lawyer? What is customary? Does the malpractice lawyer pay him a referral fee or am I supposed to pay them both.

Asked on July 17, 2014 under Malpractice Law, Connecticut


Maury Beaulier / MinnesotaLawyers.com

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Referral fees are generally frowned on or outright disalowed by the rules of ethics for lawyers. If the referring attorney is listed on the retainer and actually performs work on the case, one third of the attorney fee is not unusual depending on the size of the claim. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption