My question is, if I leave after one year, am I legally obligated to repay any expenses?

UPDATED: Jun 8, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

My question is, if I leave after one year, am I legally obligated to repay any expenses?

My current employer made payments to a moving company and apartment complex to help me relocate. No written contract was signed by me. An email titled “Job Offer” was sent to me with an attachment letter detailing the amount per hour I was to receive and all payments made on my behalf to moving companies, hotels and apartment complex deposit/rent. At the end of the letter it states that if i leave before two years, I must repay a prorated amount for moving/hotel/apartment expenses.

Asked on June 8, 2009 under Employment Labor Law, Ohio


J.V., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

If the letter which essentially acted as the job offer and upon which you acted in a form of acceptance states that you are required to repay a portion if you leave prior to two years than the company will have a right to pursue this matter if you do leave.

I have seen many situations like this and about half the time the employee has to pay and the other half the employer agrees to drop this clause. I advise you to contact a local attorney and explain the entire situation. With all the facts an attorney can make a recommendation as to how you should handle the situation to ensure the best possible outcome for you. Good luck

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption