Can my husband demand to see his father’s Will?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my husband demand to see his father’s Will?

My father-in-law passed last year. He was married twice. In the first marriage he had one child, my husband, and in his second marriage he had another child. When he passed, he was still married in his second marriage. Yesterday his wife called and said all his things several cars and antiques had been auctioned off and sold without our knowledge. This, of course, upset my husband. Before he passed his wife told us a Will had been put in place.

Asked on July 2, 2018 under Estate Planning, California


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If there was a Will and it has been admitted into probate, then it is now a matter of public record so you (or anyone else for that matter) has a right to obtain a copy from the court. If it has not yet been probated then, as your father's child, you can still get a copy of the Will since you are what the law terms an "interested party". This is someone who would have inherited if there had there been no Will (pursuant to something called "intestate succession"). Accordingly, since whether or not there is a Will affects your rights, you have a stake in the matter. This stake gives you the right to bring a legal action to view the Will. You should note, however, that you may not even be named in the Will. The fact is that a parent an disinherit a child. Also, some assets pass outside of probate to the named benenficiares such proceeds from  IRA's, certain bension benefits, 401's, etc. Finally, if it turns out that your father had no Will, then he died "intestate" which means that as his heir you are entitled to a portion of his estate. At this point, you may want to consult directly with a local probate attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption