What to do if my previous place of employment took $200 from my last paycheck to pay for a lost WIFI card that I had misplaced?

UPDATED: Jun 7, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 7, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my previous place of employment took $200 from my last paycheck to pay for a lost WIFI card that I had misplaced?

I called the WIFI company and found out that the card is being offered for free now. How can I get my $200 back?

Asked on June 7, 2013 under Employment Labor Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If you agreed to let them take the money from your check, then they are entitled to it; however, if you did not agree, your employer may not simply deduct money from your paycheck for a lost item.The proper way to get money from an employee for loss or breakage of company property is to sue them.

You could sue them, such as in small claims court, for the return of the money; they could try to show, by way of a counterclaim, that you were responsible for the loss of the card and how much it cost them to replace it. If they can show that you were responsible and it did cost them $200, you would not end up recovering anything.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption