Can my previous employer withheld $500 from my last pay as “fines/fees” for “quitting without notice”?

UPDATED: Jan 9, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 9, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my previous employer withheld $500 from my last pay as “fines/fees” for “quitting without notice”?

I read and signed all their policies upon my hire and don’t recall seeing anything referencing a $500 fine for quitting without notice (even though I did give them notice). This is for a professional truck driving position.

Asked on January 9, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Michigan


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Texas, like many states, has a set of "payday" rules which govern when and how an employer can deduct amounts other than basic taxes from an employees paycheck.  An employer can deduct an amount if consented to in writing by an employee or pursuant to a court order (like a garnishment or child support obligation).  I does not sound like your employer had a court order, so they could only deduct if they had your specific authorization to do so.  Request that they produce the specific document that you signed which authorized the deduction.  If they can't produce the authorization, they cannot keep the deduction.  If there was a written authorization and you did comply with the obligation by giving notice, you can demand the full payment and then file a claim with the Texas Workforce Commission if they fail to pay your wages that are due.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption