If my previous employer accused me of theft and fired me, what can I do to get my money?

UPDATED: Nov 14, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 14, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my previous employer accused me of theft and fired me, what can I do to get my money?

The officer that replied to the call searched all of my personal belongings and my vehicle and found no evidence, there was no court hearing because of a lack of evidence. I was wrongfully fired and the employer has not yet paid me my final paycheck after 3 weeks. She also owed me money from previous paychecks before that as well. The last 2 days I worked I was told not to clock in or out because I was switched to salaried as well, so I know she will try to not pay me for the other 18 hours I worked of overtime during those two days.

Asked on November 14, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Ohio


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all states in this country when an employee is terminated he or she is entitled to immediate payment of what is owed from the employer. I would write the former employer demanding payment what is owed by a set date. Keep a copy of the letter for future use and need.

If payment is not made, then your option are to consult with a labor law attorney, a representative with your local department of labor or go to small claims court.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption