If my power was out for 21 days due to a hurricane and had to close my business for that length of time, doI owe rent for that period of time?

UPDATED: Oct 10, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 10, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my power was out for 21 days due to a hurricane and had to close my business for that length of time, doI owe rent for that period of time?

Asked on October 10, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Virginia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Good question. You need to carefully read your written lease (assuming you have one) in that its terms and conditions control the obligations owed to you by the landlord and vice versa in the absence of conflicting state law. Look within the document to see if there is a provision regarding acts of god and abeyance of rent as a result.

Assuming you were not able to conduct business as a result of a power outage for twenty-one (21) days resulting from the recent hurricane, you were not getting the use of the commercial rental that you were paying for and you should be entitled to a rebate from the landlord if paid or if not paid, you should not be expected to pay rent for this time period.

I suggest that you speak with your landlord directly about your concerns and the twnety-one (21) day period.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption